Sunday, August 5, 2012

{Review} While it Lasts by Abbi Glines

Title: While it Lasts
Series: Sea Breaze #3
Author: Abbi Glines
Self-Published
Release Date: July 31, 2012


Synopsis:

Maybe driving home after a few (or more) shots of tequila had been a bad idea, but hell, he did it all the time. The cops had to have been freaking bored to have pulled him over. He wasn’t even swerving! That’s Cage York’s story and he’s sticking to it.

Unfortunately, his baseball coach isn’t buying it. Cage has a free ride to the local junior college for baseball -- or he did, until he’d gotten a DUI. Now, Cage has to decide: does he drop out and give up his dream of getting noticed by a college in the SEC, and possibly making it into the Major Leagues -- or does he give in to his coach’s demands and spend his summer baling hay?

Eva Brooks planned out her life step by step when she was eight years old. Not once over the years had she lost sight of her goals. Josh Beasley, her next door neighbor, had been the center of those goals. He’d been her first boyfriend at seven, her first kiss at ten, her first date at fifteen, and her first tragedy at eighteen. The moment she’d received the phone call from Josh’s mother saying he’d been killed along with four other soldiers just north of Baghdad, Eva’s carefully planned life imploded in the worst way possible.

Cage isn’t real happy with his closet-sized bedroom in the back of a foul smelling barn, or his daily interactions with cows, but he knows that if he doesn’t make his coach happy then he can kiss his scholarship goodbye. Only a sick and twisted man would decide his punishment was to be working on a farm all summer. No hot babes in bikinis waiting to meet a Southern boy to make her vacation complete. Just him and the damned cows.

Oh -- and an uptight, snarky brunette with the biggest blue eyes he’s every seen. But she doesn’t count, because as hard as he’s tried to charm her out of her panties - he’s pretty sure she’d rather see him hung from the rafters than let him get a taste of her pretty little lips.



*For Mature YA and Adult Readers. Contains mature language and sexual content.

Have any of you read anything by Abbi Glines? The Vincent Boys, The Vincent Brothers, Existence, Predestined, Because of Low, Breathe? Anything? If not, make it your mission to pick up any of these books, though I highly recommend the Sea Breeze Series - Breathe, Because of Low, and While it Lasts. Everything Abbi writes, borders on amazing. Pure and simple. She's got her bad boys down to a fine art and gosh, Cage York is so bad, he makes me wish he were real. He IS the bad boy I would fall for, hands down!

"No; my daddy didn't teach me anything but that his fucking fists were bigger than my momma's and how to skip out on your family," I replied with a sneer in my voice.

If you've read Because of Low, you know exactly how bad Cage is. He grew up in a house where his dad beat his mom and then deserted the both of them. Low is the only person in his life who never left him, but when Marcus entered the picture, Cage feared loosing her too. But she would never leave him. Ever. And Cage on a ranch, with cows...funnier than you can imagine.

Those damn cows came running when I showed up with the feed. They actually knew it was chow time and I had the goods. It was also scary as shit to have those sons of bitches running at you like they were going to trample you.

Really, it was no surprise that Cage ended up with a DUI. The boy partied more nights than he stayed at home. Wait? I'm actually not sure he ever spent a night lounging around at home. He had girls galore, often more than one at a time. He never bothered to get a phone number because he knew he was never going back. Not a single one of them held Cage's attention for more than a few hours. Until his baseball coach sent Cage to a farm to bail hay and chase cows - or hell, as Cage sees it. However, there is one angel who might save his summer, IF he can get her attention, but Cage isn't used to trying.

I absolutely loved seeing the so-bad-he's-sinful Cage fall in love for the first time. I loved seeing him work to garner a girl's attention. And I loved watching him screw up. Let's face it, it was bound to happen. 

Eva's not any typical girl. She's dated the same guy all her life, until he died fighting in Baghdad. Now, she's alone and not looking for love. She's got her overprotective dad and her fiance's brother, Jeremy. It's been nearly two years, and she hasn't removed her engagement ring. Cage is absolutely the wrong choice for her. No doubt about it. But something about his southern charm and the way he seems to genuinely care, has her running toward him, when she should be running from him...every girl should run away from Cage York. Even he knows that.

Okay, so if you're not hooked by the prologue, read a chapter or two more and you will be in love. Seriously, the prologue had me in tears. A hell of a way to capture the readers attention... But then Cage's antics had me captivated until the very last page. I wanted to skip ahead and read the end because I had to know, but I reminded myself how humorous the book would be all the way through. Oh, and did I mention HOT AS HADES?

"You're the drunk," she stated.
It wasn't a question. So, I din't reply. Instead, I flashed her a smile that I knew affected any female's panties and took a step toward her. "I got a lot of names, baby," I finally responded.
Her eyebrows arched, straightened her stance and shot me the coldest glare I'd ever witnessed. What was this chick's deal? "I'm sure you do. Let me guess: STD, Loser, Jackass, and Drunk just to name a few..."


Ah...if there were ever a match for Cage, it is Eva. She's already got his number, and I'm not talking phone. I loved her wittiness and her bravado when it came to Cage's advances...at least in the beginning. She absolutely wasn't putting up with his shit. Just the kind of girl Cage needs.

The naughty girl inside me, that I honestly didn't know existed, bent my head down and looked up at him through my lashes as I flicked it with my tongue.
"Ah, shit," he whispered but it almost sounded like a moan.
Encouraged by his response I flattened my tongue and ran it up and over his hard nipple.

Needless to say, things progress, not without a few bumps in the road though. The thing I adored about Eva was her take charge attitude. No matter what the circumstances were. 

Abbi chose to write While it Lasts from both Cage's and Eva's POV. I honestly don't think there was any other way. To get the full impact the reader has to know Cage's side, but they also have to see the heart-ache and insecurities of the person getting close to Cage. As a fictional character, he's easy to love, but as a trustworthy boyfriend, I'd say it would be nearly impossible to ride out the Cage York hurricane. I have a thing for broken boys, and Cage is 150% broken. Yes, I know it's impossible, but he is. Eva's also broken and watching the two of them mend each other tugged at my heart and brought me close to tears once or twice.

Highly recommended! But only for mature audiences!


1 comment:

  1. I'm glad that you enjoyed it! Loved this book too. Cage is so hot and sweet and naughty, he's dreamy :P You wrote a wonderful review Kristin! I couldn't agree with you more.


    xo, april

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...