Monday, May 6, 2013

{Book Review} Stray by Rachel Vincent

Title: Stray
Series: Shifters #1
Author: Rachel Vincent
Publisher: Mira Books
Publishing Date: June 1, 2007

Synopsis:

There are only eight breeding female werecats left . . .
And I'm one of them.

I look like an all-American grad student. But I am a werecat, a shape-shifter, and I live in two worlds.

Despite reservations from my family and my Pride, I escaped the pressure to continue my species and carved out a normal life for myself. Until the night a Stray attacked.

I'd been warned about Strays -- werecats without a Pride, constantly on the lookout for someone like me: attractive, female, and fertile. I fought him off, but then learned two of my fellow tabbies had disappeared.

This brush with danger was all my Pride needed to summon me back . . . for my own protection. Yeah, right. But I'm no meek kitty. I'll take on whatever -- and whoever -- I have to in order to find my friends. Watch out, Strays -- 'cause I got claws, and I'm not afraid to use them . . .



*This is an Adult Urban Fantasy and contains mild to moderate sexual content and violence.

After many weeks of what my reading friends have now termed "reading ADD," I finally gave in and read a book that my co-blogger has been begging me to read. It's only been on the market for about six years now, and as I am a huge fan of Rachel Vincent's Soul Screamer series, I have no idea why I was so hesitant to pick this up and read it. Heck, I even had it sitting on my shelf beside the rest of my TBR books.

I'm not a werewolf fan, or really a shifter fan, but Stray caught and held my attention from the first page, literally. I had a stack of books in my lap, flipping from one to the other, perusing the first couple pages of each looking for something to scream READ ME. Stray finally did. 

With any book, I look for layers in my reading. The main storyline revolves around Faythe (don't you just love the spelling) and her reluctance to return home to her Pride. She left five years previously to attend college and was currently working on her graduate work when her father summoned her home via Marc, the insanely hot boy of Faythe's past, and maybe her future. She went home, scraping her claws the whole way. Once she steps inside her childhood house, Faythe begins to understand why her father sent his second in charge to drag her home. Tabbies, female werecats, are going missing. The fact that there are only eight breeding Tabbies is reason for all the Prides to worry.

Faythe initially comes across as a spiteful and rebellious woman, though if I were raised under the laws of the Pride, I probably would be too. Once she finds out her friends are being kidnapped, she quickly becomes a mature and caring person, um - I mean werecat. She's completely kick-ass and has proven to be able to survive on her own, not needing a man to support her. There's a very minor love triangle, and she probably didn't handle things right, but we all make mistakes. I have a feeling destiny would have eventually made her choice for her had she not made her own decision.

Initially, and honestly throughout this book, I did not like Marc. I felt like her tried to take too many privileges with Faythe and played the ex-lover card a little too hard. He didn't earn any points with me until the very, very end of the book and starting into Rogue,which I am currently reading. I'm just not a big fan of the whole "me man, you woman" attitude.

Jace is a hotty, and sensual to boot. I have a feeling he's been pining after Faythe for quite some time. He's her youngest brother's, Ethan's, best friend, and I do love Ethan. He's cute and a little bit of a rebellion, not quite as bad as Faythe, but he definitely doesn't play by all the rules. Out of the brothers, he's definitely my favorite. I haven't really gotten a grasp on Micheal or Owen yet, and Ryan...well...

If you're looking for something not to serious but with a bit of depth to it, I highly suggest Stray. It's fun and action packed, start to finish. I always enjoy a strong lead character, and Faythe rocks.

A Review by Kristin

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...