Wednesday, October 30, 2013

NaNoWriMo 2013 - It's That Time Again

For the past 2 years I've taken part in NaNoWriMo, or National Novel Writing Month, and I'll be doing so again this year. YIPPEE!!! For any of my readers doing NaNo, I love writing buddies so look me up - kristin73. Look at the bottom for a small blurb about what I'll be writing during the month long bout of creative madness.



Who doesn't know what this hoopla is about?

Okay, here are the basics:
You have 30 days, the month of November, to write a 50,000 word novel, or 50,000 words of a novel. 1667 words a day, every single day for 30 days. Jiminy Frickin' Crickets!!! Talk about a group of masochistic individuals. Why would anyone subject themselves to this craziness?

Insane, right? But here's the catch for someone like me, writing in a sprint makes it impossible for me to keep editing what I just wrote over and over and over and over... okay, well, you get it. Plus, I've met some wonderful, funny, talented people in those 30 days. The twitter word sprints are fun and challenging. And the pep talks by authors like Neil Gaimon, Rainbow Rowell, and James Patterson are inspiring to say the least.

What do you get at the end of the 30 days?
Hopefully 50,000 words that can be added to, then shaped and molded into some sort of novel. Yeah, there are some pretty cool prizes if you meet the 50,000 word count, but the best prize of all is knowing somewhere in your head you managed to create a few characters, dropped them into some creative scenarios, and came up with something all your own.

What do you do with this book you've written?
At the end of November, I would hope you edit before you dream of doing anything else because as much as I'm praying this will be the year that my NaNoWriMo work of art turns out perfectly and I can start querying agents, I'm dreadfully doubtful. After that, or even on December 1st, you never have to look at your manuscript again. Or you can edit, edit, edit... then stick it in a drawer never to be seen again. OR... you can query agents and publishers or self-publish. Heck, maybe just keep it around for friends and family to read (but I'll be the first to admit I've never let any of my family read a single word I've written, never). Whatever you decide, you get to know you wrote a novel!!! How awesome is that?

What am I writing?
Well, this is something I've never done before. I've never admitted to anyone other than my critique partners what ANY of my books are about, but this once, I'll let you in on my secret.

A talented musician has a secret he had hidden from the world... until he didn't. His fight with schizophrenia won. The world turned on its axis. The stage, the rush, the fame--it's all Holden's ever known and it's gone, taken because of a rash decision. Ironically, all his worst decisions happened during those sane times, like running off the only woman he had ever loved or deciding ten years of medications had cured him. Someone as talented and adored as the Holden Blake could never fall from his perch. Right?

A fictional tale of the real life struggles of people with mental health issues and the ones who love them.

(SUBJECT TO CHANGE)

2 comments:

  1. I added you as a buddy.... I still have no idea what I'm going to try to do this year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If u going to create your own website then keep some points in mind :- requirement and your thought, budget, target audienceses........etc.

    Travesti

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...