Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Blood Magic by Tessa Gratton

Blood Magic BN

Title – Blood Magic
Author – Tessa Gratton
Publisher – Random House
Tessa Gratton’s Website
Tessa’s Twitter
Tessa’s Facebook
Goodreads

Synopsis -

It starts off simply.

Draw a circle ... place a dead leaf in the center ... sprinkle some salt ... recite a little Latin ... add a drop of blood ..

Maybe that last part isn't exactly simple. Yet somehow it feels right to Silla Kennicott. And nothing in her life has felt remotely right since her parents' horrific deaths. She's willing to do anything to uncover the truth about her family—even try a few spells from the mysterious book that arrived on her doorstep ... and spill some blood.

The book isn't the only recent arrival in Silla's life. There's Nick Pardee, the new guy next door who may have seen Silla casting a spell. She's not sure what he saw and is afraid to find out. But as they spend more time together, Silla realizes this may not be Nick's first encounter with Blood Magic. Brought together by a combination of fate and chemistry, Silla and Nick can't deny their attraction. And they can't ignore the dark presence lurking nearby—waiting to reclaim the book and all its power.

Tessa Gratton's intoxicating first novel will keep pulses racing, minds reeling, and pages turning right up to the very last drop of blood.


I absolutely adore this book. Of course, I love dark fiction with lots of quirky, snarky, lovable characters.
Silla – (AKA Drusilla) is a young girl, from Yaleylah, Missouri who finds her parents dead and covered in blood. Yaleylah is a typical small town where rumors of her parents’ death and Silla’s inherited “craziness” runs like wildfire through the school. Crazy may be the least alarming inheritance Silla acquires from her parents. It is definitely not the most dangerous Kennicott legacy…the magic inside her will endanger her and everyone around.

  • Reese – is Silla’s older brother who should be away at college; however after the horrifying death of his parents, Reese has delayed his admittance to Kansas State to take care of Silla. He is somewhat overprotective of his little sister, and who can blame him? He is somewhat resistant to the belief that his dad could be innocent, and downright difficult to convince magic is real. Silla desperately needs his faith, understanding, love, and help.
  • Nicholas – is a young man from Chicago who has just inherited his grandfather’s home in Yaleylah. His dad is a prominent lawyer with a “cougarish” wife. Nick is rebellious, snarky, condescending, spiteful, brutally honest, and eccentric. (Everything I love in a character.) He has his own memories that he has buried; memories that will resurface as he learns more about Silla.
  • Judy – is one of Silla’s Step-Grandmothers. She showed up shortly after the accident and moved right in. She is a perfect ally for Silla.
  • Wendy – is Silla’s only friend left from before the “accident.”
  • Eric – is Silla’s ex, the president of the drama club, and a surprisingly charming character who will endure much during this story.
  • Lilith (Mary) – Mary is Nick’s stepmother. She is a famous author and encouraged the move to Yaleylah. She felt like the small town would be a writer’s haven. But, there could be much more to her than what she seems.
  • Ms. Tripp – is the school counselor. She is attempting to help Silla overcome the horrifying experience of her parents death.
  • Josephine Darly – is a blood witch who wants to live forever and will try anything to get what she wants.
  • Philip – is an important piece of the puzzle that Silla must solve to save her friends and family.
My first impression of this book is that it would be dark, scary, and not my cup of tea. Well, I was right on two of the three, anyway. Blood Magic is built around death, cemeteries, blood, and magic. Some of the magic is pure evil and scared the c… out of me. However, I fell completely and unequivocally in love with this book after just a few pages…especially after meeting Nick.

The book switches perspectives between Silla and Nick…which I love. There is sometimes a bit of overlapping of views that appear repetitive, but overall, I enjoy the back and forth of it all. The one thing I don’t like is switching between past and present times. I have never liked this in books I read, and there is quite a bit of this. The past is important to the story though.

Here are a few of my favorite lines:

I looked up from the dirty haiku I was writing between notes on logarithmic functions. And? I asked with my eyes…I couldn’t be totally rude to somebody who knew his poetry. – Nicholas

“She was hot. And eager, man. A few of us were looking forward to her brother going away to college.” – Eric

I closed my eyes and stepped in. My hands found his shoulders, and my finger bones sucked up the heat from the fire…his hands pressed just over the belt of my low-riding jeans, guiding me, pulling me, pushing me, willing me to twirl and step and glide. – Silla
The characters were troubled and each had a defined personality. Working together they can make life better and save each other. I was suspicious of everyone and everything. The things that Silla, Nick, and Reese can do with magic are down-right frightening.


Tessa Gratton brings emotions to the table that some would rather avoid; others will dwell in the upheaval. A debut novel to be read in the light.

2 comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...