Saturday, November 17, 2012

{Book Review} Blood Debt by Nancy Straight

Title: Blood Debt
Series: Touched #1
Author: Nancy Straight
Self-Published

Website     Goodreads     Twitter     Facebook

Blurb:
Her whole life, it had just been the two of them. Before her mother’s last breath, she gave Camille the information she had craved her entire life: the identity of her father. Daring to contact him, Camille was welcomed by an entire family she never knew existed. But nothing comes without a price, as she discovers when her family claims a legendary heritage tracing back to a Centaur touched by Zeus.

As she learns the secrets of her Centaur bloodline, she is drawn into a forbidden love with Drake. Her family acknowledges her life may be the blood debt required to pay for her mother’s transgressions. The same person who once held her mother captive, and forced her into decades of hiding, now controls Camille. Her only chance is to seek a piece of her mother’s past that will win her freedom and the life she desperately desires.

Sorry guys! I meant to get this up earlier this evening, except...the 11 year old turned 12 and, believe it or not, she thought she deserved a birthday party! Can you imagine? Anyway, all is quiet now (FINALLY) so I thought I'd jot down my review of Nancy Straight's Blood Debt!

Okay, so I'm perusing this tour request I received and saw the word "Centaur" and I'm thinking, hmmmmm? A book about half-men/half-horses...no freaking way. Right? But then I thought, if anyone can pull this off, it's Nancy because I've read many of her other books and they are all amazing. Needless to say, she managed to pull this one off perfectly and there weren't even any hooved men stomping about.

The first thing that pulled me into the book was Camille's friend Daniel. A little weird since he was far from the main character, I know, but something tells me Daniel's a little more than just Camille's best friend. As of this moment, I know nothing more, but I'll keep you updated. HeHe.

So, Camille's mom, Angela, is a powerful Centauride who escaped a horrific fate and managed to keep Camille hidden from the most influential Centaur Herds. Angela only told Camille her father's name on her death bed, leaving Camille alone to search for a man she had never met. Once Camille and her father meet the secrets start flying. Can you imagine not only finding out you are of a magical race, but because of something your mom did, you owe a blood debt to another family? No thank you.

I loved the matriarchal society that the Centaurs revolved around, though there are many things about their lives I disagreed with and hopefully Camille will resolve some of these issues. But I must say, the most impressive thing is how the author managed to keep up with all Camille's half-brothers. Each of their names started with a B and each seemed swoon-worthy in their own way. I'm wishing them all the best of luck in the coming years, because I think they all deserve a good mate.

And Drake...OH YUMMY!!! He's amazing and kind and courteous and good. I love the way his and Camille's story is woven together and how many obstacles they each have to overcome in order to try to be together, and that's still up in the air. Still! Bianca and Gage are interesting characters and I cannot wait to know more about Gage and his family. Some things pulled together, but as with every well written series, some questions were answered while others were presented.

The only thing that kept me from giving the book a complete 5 stars is the frequent changing of POVs. Usually this is not a problem for me, but when you get more than two or three going at the same time, I tend to get confused and have to go back and reread things to make sure I understand who is saying what.

Nancy takes different mythologies and mixes them all together to create a fascinating, spell-binding, and nail-biting novel. I'm still rocking on the edge of my chair after that ending. She attacks political and social issues in an interesting manner and keeps your brain thinking far after the last page has been turned. If you are a fan of romance, mythology, and unique literature...Blood Debt is a must read. Be sure you run over to the giveaway and enter to win an ebook copy of Blood Debt.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...