Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Hurricane by Jenna-Lynne Duncan


Hurricane
Title: Hurricane
Series: Hurricane #1
Author: Jenna-Lynne Duncan
Publisher: Divertir Publishing LLC
Copyright © 2011 by Jenna-Lynne Duncan
Jenna-Lynne Duncan’s Official Website
Jenna-Lynne’s Twitter
Jenna-Lynne’s Facebook
Add it to your TBR here

Excerpt:

"I anxiously looked around, my heart palpitating, just in time to see an alligator slink into the green algae covered water that was on either side of us. I swallowed hard, and my heart raced even faster. Alligators were a different type of predator—the one thing I was afraid of. Now I was on my own personal swamp tour. What if my kidnappers left me in the middle of a swamp with five of them creeping up on me? I’ve had that nightmare before and—oh no, if my dreams really are a sign of the future—I couldn’t breathe now."

Adriana couldn’t decide what was worse—that Hurricane Katrina was heading for New Orleans, or that she might not survive her kidnapping to see the potential effects. She had trusted Hayden, even fallen for him, and now he and his brother Luke were taking her deeper and deeper into the Bayou. Why had two of her classmates, the mysterious Boudreaux brothers, kidnapped her? Why had Adriana’s dreams started predicting the future? Most importantly, would she make it out of the Bayou alive…



Jenna-Lynn Duncan begins Hurricane several days before Hurricane Katrina destroys New Orleans. The prologue had me hooked and I found each page full of exciting events and trivia about New Orleans’ culture. I have always wanted to visit New Orleans and now I know I have to, and yes I know this is a purely fictional tale. The characters brought this story to life, allowing you to fall into the story.

  • Adriana is a seventeen year old young woman who suffers from loneliness and the insecurities of feeling out of place in her normal world. She begins having precognitions the night before the first day of school which will prove to be true.
  • Nikki is one of Adriana’s only friends – a boy-crazy friends at that.
  • Marie is another friend of Adriana’s that makes a couple of appearances in the story.
  • Hayden Boudreaux is one of the sexy brothers  juswhot moved into town. He has every girl swooning when he walks by. When it comes to Adriana he runs hot and cold…you never know what to expect.
  • Luke Boudreaux is the second half of the brotherly duo and it doesn’t sound like he lacking in the looks department either.
  • Elizabeth and Christopher are Luke and Hayden’s parents. They look fondly on Adriana, welcoming her openly into their family of mystery.
  • Marie Laveau is the Voodoo Queen who cursed generations to a life of murder and immortality.
I fell in love with this mysterious and haunting tale from the very beginning. The prologue is written from one of Adriana’s kidnappers point of view. This took you into the middle of the story so even if the beginning seemed to drag a little – you had to keep reading. This is one of the best uses of a prologue that I have seen in a long time. Bravo to you Ms. Duncan.

New Orleans is one of those places that is naturally surrounded by mystery and culture…from Voodoo to Mardi Gras. The events that took place in Hurricane transported you into that mysterious culture. There were points that I was completely creeped out and points that I wanted nothing more but to get in my car and drive there. And the description leading up to Hurricane Katrina…well it took me back to that time. I felt like I was the one preparing to evacuate.

The Boudreaux brothers are anything but the boys next door. When their attention falls on the wallflower, Adriana, she becomes extremely curious. Not that they gave her any answers, but she asked her questions all the same. I really liked Adriana as a protagonist, she was strong – not in a kick your butt sort of way…but she didn’t whine and she just went with the flow. Once she figured out who she could trust, she was loyal without question or concern.

This is a highly recommended book that will transport you to another place.

*Important note – a part of the proceeds from this book go to the Habitat for Humanity – New Orleans.

*I was given a free e-book by the publisher of Hurricane in return for my honest review.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...