Thursday, September 15, 2011

Thoughtful Thursday #2

How it works - Each Thursday I will post a question for you to ponder. Feel free to join in the fun by either posting your answer in a comment, or by stealing my cute little picture and placing it on your blog! Tell your friends and lets make this fun. 


Ok, this one may get me in a little trouble on this one, but I read this article yesterday and was wondering what the blogging/reading world thinks about it.

I receive a daily digest from Publisher's Weekly. Yesterday there was an article written by two published authors who co-wrote a post-apocalyptic novel with 5 different view points. You can find the full article HERE. One of the characters was openly gay. When the authors approached an agent...

"The agent offered to sign us on the condition that we make the gay character straight, or else remove his viewpoint and all references to his sexual orientation."
 Author Rachel Manija Brown had this to say:

“Making a gay character straight is a line in the sand which I will not cross. That is a moral issue. I work with teenagers, and some of them are gay. They never get to read fantasy novels where people like them are the heroes, and that’s not right.”

How do I feel about LGBT characters in YA Literature?

Well, personally I find it refreshing that ALL types of individuals are portrayed as heroes and recognized by society. Whether you believe it is right or wrong, there have been dire consequences for many individuals struggling in these lifestyles. No one should have to resort to suicide or other forms of self-mutilation because they feel different. 

Putting these characters in books gives teens a sense of being understood and recognized. And, being a teenager is a difficult part of life...why make it any harder by not acknowledging their feelings.

We are afraid of what we do not understand and fear leads to hatred.

Thought of Today: Do you think LGBT characters should be portrayed in YA literature?

*Comments are encouraged and welcome; however, if you can't say it nicely, don't say it at all. Motto of this blog: Do Unto Others as you would have them Do Unto You! Any offensive comments will be removed immediately!

3 comments:

  1. Hi Kristin!

    I agree with you. You said it well.
    Here's mine: Thoughtful Thursday

    Thank you for grabbing my button (I think there's a problem with the previous one, I already fix it now)

    <3 april.xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do. I personally don't have a problem with gay characters or the gay society in general. I have a few friends who are openly gay, and their orientation hasn't affected our friendship in any way, shape. or form. Now if they came at me with all that, THEN we'll have a problem lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. Shae, your comment made me laugh! I completely agree...

    Thanks for commenting!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...