Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Guest Post Interview with Joey Avniel

Collette Scott has brought us an interview with Joey Avniel, author of One-Legged Seagull, A Warrior's Journey to Inner Peace.


Where were you born and where do you call home?
I was born in Israel and I call home wherever my heart is. Right now it’s New York.

What is the name of your most recent book and if you had to sum it up in 30 or less words, what would you say?
My latest book name is: One-Legged Seagull, A Warrior’s Journey to Inner Peace.
In less than 30 words it is: It’ The Little Prince meets Karate Kid. A fable that will take you on a journey to find your own path to be at peace.

If you gave some of your characters an opportunity to speak for themselves, what would they say?
It’s funny that you ask. I actually let 6 of them speak on my website. Here is the link: http:// http://oneleggedseagull.com/one-legged-seagulls-characters/
In general they will say that they enjoyed playing their roles in the book, they learned a lot and they feel more peaceful now.

What or who inspired you to write?  And how long have you been writing?
As a dyslectic person I didn’t like writing for most of my life. All I can say is that one day I woke up and there was a book in me. I couldn’t fall asleep again, before I wrote it. It was two sleepless months until I finished the first draft.

Would you like to giveaway a copy of your book on this blog?
Yes.

How did you come up with the title and cover design?
I saw a picture of one-legged seagull that my friend took. She explained that this specific seagull was the only one who was brave enough to eat from her hand. Probably because it had no choice. This picture inspired the first chapter of the book, the title and the cover.

Have you based any of your characters on someone you know, or real events in your own life?
At some levels 3 of the characters are based on me and my life story. There is a reason why it’s 3 characters and you find it at the end of the story. My lovely dog May is also a character in the story.

What books have most influenced your writing most and why?
The Little Price, Conversations with God and The Alchemist. I tried to take the best from each one of them. To be light and simple as The Little Price, deep and organized as Conversations with God and interesting as The Alchemist.

Do you prefer ebooks, paperbacks or hardcover?
Ebooks.

Are you a self published (Indie) Author?
I published my book in 2 languages so far. It was first published in Israel with a publisher. Then I rewrote it in English and self published it.

Have you ever read a book more than once?
Yes, mine, 70 times, about half in each language J 
I guess I read a few books twice. One of them is Initiation by Elisabeth Haich. It’s a great book. I’ll read it again.

What book are you currently reading and in what format (ebook/paperback/hardcover)?
The Wise Heart by Jack Kornfield. Paperback.

What is the best advice that you have ever been given when it comes to writing?
Show don’t tell, and feel don’t think.

Cats or dogs?
Dogs!

White wine or red?
Red.

Vanilla or chocolate icecream?
Can I have pistachio instead?

What are 4 things you never leave home without?
Apple (for a snack), my cloths (people say it’s important), baseball cap (it’s good both against rain and sun), and my laptop (you can never know when the muse will come for a visit)

One of your favorite quotes -
Resistance is futile. But I give it a different context. For me it means that I better be in acceptance than resistance.

Where can your readers stalk you?
At my Yoga class.

What was your biggest challenge in writing the book?
The biggest challenge was English. It’s my second language and was always a challenge for me. When I was close to give up on writing in English, I reminded myself that I say in my own book that nothing is impossible. The funny thing is that the book in English is much better than the original in Hebrew. I need to thank my writing group and my dedicated editor for that.

What is your happiest moment as an author?
A friend of mine bought my book just before a trip with her sister to South America. She was worried because her sister was always complaining about everything. When my friend came back from the trip she was very excited. She told me that the first complain from her sister came about five minutes after they left the first hotel. “I forgot to take a book,” the sister said. My friend offered my book. This was the first time ever my friend didn’t hear her sister complaining for a few hours. Then later on the trip, whenever things went wrong the sister asked my friend: “What do you think Simon (the wise man in my story) would have said in a situation like this?” My friend said it made her trip much more peaceful.


My facebook page: www.facebook.com/JoeyAvniel
My Goodreads author page:
The book will be available in print on November 11th, 2011

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...