Monday, October 15, 2012

{A Kristin A Review} Of Poseidon by Anna Banks

Title: Of Poseidon
Series: Of Poseidon #1
Author: Anna Banks
Publisher: MacMillan
Imprint: A Feiwel and Friends Book
Publication Date: May 22, 2012
Source: Purchased from Barnes & Noble

Synopsis:


Galen is the prince of the Syrena, sent to land to find a girl he's heard can communicate with fish. Emma is on vacation at the beach. When she runs into Galen — literally, ouch! — both teens sense a connection. But it will take several encounters, including a deadly one with a shark, for Galen to be convinced of Emma's gifts. Now, if he can only convince Emma that she holds the key to his kingdom . . .

Told from both Emma and Galen's points of view, here is a fish-out-of-water story that sparkles with intrigue, humor, and waves of romance.


What? Kristin's writing a review? Has the world ended? Well, no...not yet, but give those Zombies time. Until then, let's talk about my new favorite Mermaid, oops *smiles apologetically to Galen*, I mean Syrena book...Of Poseidon.

I'm not exactly sure what I expected from this book, but it turned out much different than I thought. My newest reading obsession has been Greek Mythology and when you see a book called Of Poseidon, you think Greek Mythology, right? However, Ms. Banks put her own spin on the lore and created something even better.

The idea of there being two races of Syrena, one led by Poseidon, the other by Triton. The two races agreed on very little and were, in fact, in some semblance of war. Even at that, once every three generations a direct descendant from Poseidon's crew and Triton's crew marry to assure both races survive. Poseidon's children can control fish, guiding them to any Syrena who might need to feed in extreme circumstances. When Galen intervenes in an accident where Emma sends a bull shark packing, he knows he's been guided to something extremely rare and talented. Question is: who is she and who are her parents, because the last direct descendant of Poseidon was killed before her marriage to Galen's older brother, Grom.

From the first page, Ms. Banks had me laughing so hard I cried. Emma was a klutz  but for a good reason. As mentioned in the synopsis, she's a fish-out-of-water trying to navigate her way on land. She's never known about her heritage, so she's completely unaware of her ability to compel fish to do her bidding. As a young child, she had a near-drowning incident where she "imagined" catfish saved her. I wouldn't say Emma hates water, because her and her friend Chloe take a trip to Florida and swim in the ocean. Also, she lives on the Jersey Shore and frequently swims with her friends. I would say she's very cautious of the water. She respects its unwavering power.
"Uh, we didn't get your name. Did you get his name, Emma?" she asks, as if on cue.

"I tried, Chloe. But he wouldn't tell me, so I tackled him," I say, rolling my eyes.
-Chloe and Emma, Page 4
Galen's sister, Rayna, is a Royal Pain in the A$$! Seriously. She and Galen are even Royals...I didn't just make that up. But I loved Rayna for reasons I don't even understand. Maybe because I felt like she was fighting so hard to be normal somewhere. In the ocean she's a Royal whose choices have already been made for her, though she's unaware of her fate. On land, she's temperamental and downright bitchy. Although, I got the feeling that she cared much more than she let on. There are times when I felt she said or did certain things to reveal secrets or truths her brother wasn't willing to tell Emma. No matter what, I loved Rayna and it's quite possibly because she's a lot like me. Just ask my husband, I'm prone to tell people things I think they need to know, even when he's sure his mom absolutely does not need to know. *grins devilishly*
"Why are you still here, Galen? It's obvious she's just a pathetic human who couldn't even save her own friend. Course, we know how bloodthirsty they are, how little a reason they need to kill each other. Maybe she let her die on purpose." ... Rayna's smile is vicious when she says, "Oh, yes, I do, Emma. I know exactly what I'm talking about. You. Killed. Chloe."

I've never been in a fight before. Technically though, this won't count as a fight--this will be murder. For the first time in my life, precision replaces clumsiness. - Emma and Rayna, page 100
Then, there's Galen's best friend, Toraf. He's so sweet and protective over the girls, but a huge amount sneaky. I mean, he went to Galen's brother and became "mated" with a very feisty princess without even telling her. Who does that? Apparently, creatures who live beneath in the sea. He's also a very talented tracker, sent on a mission to find a Syrena who is believed to be a hidden member of Poseidon's family. As Galen and Emma become closer, everyone hopes the girl he hunts exists, otherwise Emma is going to be Grom's mate...though, this is another secret the boys are hiding.
Galen laughs. "How do you know about Batman?"

"I saw him on that black square in your living room. He can do all sorts of things other humans can't do. Maybe Emma is like him." - Galen and Toraf, page 176
Galen has been appointed as a type of ambassador with the humans in case they should ever need to know the Syrena exist, so he's a little more acquainted with human ways. Rayna and Toraf are hysterically uninformed though. Often lending comedic dialog and scenarios to intense scenes.
He brushes his lips against hers, cutting her off. They're softer than he ever imagined. And it's not enough. Moving his hand from her jawline to entwine it in her damp locks, he pulls her to him. She tips up on her toes to meet him and as he lifts her from the ground, she folds her arms around his neck. Just as hungry for him as he is for her, she opens her mouth for a deeper kiss, pressing her soft curves into him. And Galen decides there is nothing better than kissing Emma. - Page 265
Okay...that's my last tease, just know there's much more that happens after this moment, because a happily ever after never happens in the first book of a series, right?

I have only one complaint, okay - not complaint, confusion about the writing of the book. It's told from Emma's and Galen's POV, which is fan-freaking-tastic, but Emma's is in first person and Galen's is in third-limited. I've never seen this done before and only wonder what the reasoning is. Most of the time, when multiple POV's are used, they're in first person. The writing didn't interrupt the story, mainly just left me curious. If anyone has an answer...let me know.

I loved the cuteness of this story, the innocent sweetness twisted with humor and heart-ache. The secrets, the lies, the destinies of those involved. I appreciated Emma's few moments of weakness in an appropriate place, and thrived on her strength throughout the rest of the book. Galen left me wanting more. Always more.

My suggestion - if you're looking for a funny and entertaining read, run straight out and buy Of Poseidon. I doubt you'll be disappointed.


2 comments:

  1. Awesome review! I have this in my TBR mountain and cannot wait to read it eventually! Loving the mermaid/Syrena books lately!!

    A possible reason why one of the narrators is in first and the other in third, is simple distinguishen--I think that's a word! ;)

    It's possibly just an easy way of letting you know whose mind you're in. I haven't read the book yet so I don't totally know. But I am reading a book where the author is doing this, the heroine is in first person and her hero is in third person. It makes it easy to know who's talking right away instead of having to figure it out.

    But that's just my guess!

    Fab review! I cannot wait to read it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jessica! I think you are probably 100% right. I had never looked at the POV change quite like that. I actually emailed Ms. Banks to ask her reasoning. She hasn't answered yet, but it's only been a few hours and I'm certain she's insanely busy. I'm just a curious/nosy person like that. LOL.

      I loved OF POSEIDON! You should read it when you get a chance!

      Delete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...