Saturday, November 5, 2011

Fourteen Days Later by Sibel Hodge


Title: Fourteen Days Later
Sequel: My Perfect Wedding
Author: Sibel Hodge
Independently Published
Genre: Romantic Comedy
Website
Twitter
Facebook
Goodreads
Barnes & Noble
Amazon

Synopsis:

When accident-prone Helen Grey finds a thong stuffed into the pocket of her boyfriend’s best work trousers, it’s time for her to move on. His excuse that he needed to dust the photocopier and just thought that it was a rag sounds like a lame excuse.

Helen’s life is propelled in an unexpected direction after her best friend, Ayshe, sets her a fourteen-day, life-changing challenge. Helen receives a task everyday which she must complete without question. The tasks are designed to build her confidence and boost her self-esteem but all they seem to do is push her closer to Ayshe’s brother, Kalem.

How will Kalem and Helen get together when she’s too foolish to realize that she loves him? How can he fall for her when he is too busy falling prey to her mishaps and too in love with his own perfect girlfriend? How will Kalem’s Turkish Cypriot family react when they find out?

Is it really possible to change your life in fourteen days?


If you ever need a really good laugh...sit down and read this book. Helen reminds me so much of myself, I couldn't help but laugh. I am obscenely uncoordinated...ask anyone who knows me, I fall all the dang time. Ugh. I made the mistake of reading this book late at night and nearly killed myself trying not to laugh and wake everyone up. Helen was just my kind of lady.

The book was fun, light-hearted, and inspiring. We find Helen approximately six months after she has rid her life of the cheating ex-fiance, Justin. Her best friend poses a challenge...everyday for fourteen days, Helen must do something that is outside of her comfort zone. Some of the things were normal every day things like volunteering to walk dogs...but others were a tad bit out there. Somehow, each of the challenges involved Helen running into her best friends brother, Kalem. Sadly the only times she ran into him was when something had gone horribly awry.

Along the way, Helen meets a few men who interest her. However, each one of them has a whole new set of issues that Helen can't overlook. Kalem goes out of his way to prevent one date from happening and Helen can't begin to imagine why. The further I read, the more I began to think of Kalem as Helen's challenge, then I decided it was his sanity that was being challenged.

Just a couple of my favorite quotes (there are too many to mention really)- These quotes do not contain misspellings...it's the language it was written in.

Kalem wondered over to Charlie, studying his drawing. "You might like to try drawing the whole subject next time, instead of just the penis." I glanced over at Charlie's very eyecatching piece. He'd taken up the whole paper with a ginormous willy.

[Questions from a gymn enrollment form -]

1) Sex? Answer: thanks, but no.
2) Age? Answer: thirty but look much younger.
3) Occupation address? Answer: anywhere
4) Occupational position? Answer: Standing but occasionally sitting down.
5) Do you have a heart problem? Answer: probably will in a minute.
6) Do you suffer from breathlessness during exercise? Answer: sometimes during sex but that was a long time ago.
7) Do you suffer from palpitations or unusual heart flutters? Answer: only when I think about someone special.
8) Do you have any back problems? Answer: Only when I did a handstand when I was very drunk.
9) Are you allergic to anything? Answer: men who cheat.
10) Have you had any operations? Answer: I think I had a lobotomy once, but I can't remember.
11) Do you enjoy a healthy eating programme? Answer: yes, started an hour ago.
12) Have you suffered from any illnesses? Answer: hangovers.
I was laughing so hard just typing that!!!

*I was provided a free ebook by the author in return for my honest review.

9 comments:

  1. Oh wow this sounds fun! I love a feel good book and this one seems like my type! Fab review!

    Giselle
    Xpresso Reads

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much for taking the time to review Fourteen Days Later! I'm soooooo glad you enjoyed it :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. On my Kindle already. With eveything else Sibel Hodge has written. Absolutely love her. Great review. You really nailed her!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you so much PJ! She is an excellent story-teller. I wish I was half as funny as she was.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Giselle, thank you so much for all your fun comments. I truly do read them and enjoy them. I just never get around to replying. Bad me. If you want a fun read...grab this one. I felt so giddy after I read this.

    Thanks for stopping by.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sibel, thank you for taking the time to stop by and say hi. I appreciate it immensely.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, bless you, Pj, that's lovely! So nice to hear when readers enjoy your books :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks so much, Kristin, that's so sweet :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Where would authors be without book bloggers? You do such a fab job, and it's my pleasure! :)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...