Sunday, November 27, 2011

Hushed by Kelley York


Title: Hushed
Author: Kelley York
Publisher: Entangled Publishing
Release: December 6, 2011
Genre: YA Thriller

Synopsis: He’s saved her. He’s loved her. He’s killed for her.

Eighteen-year-old Archer couldn’t protect his best friend, Vivian, from what happened when they were kids, so he’s never stopped trying to protect her from everything else. It doesn’t matter that Vivian only uses him when hopping from one toxic relationship to another—Archer is always there, waiting to be noticed.

Then along comes Evan, the only person who’s ever cared about Archer without a single string attached. The harder he falls for Evan, the more Archer sees Vivian for the manipulative hot-mess she really is.

But Viv has her hooks in deep, and when she finds out about the murders Archer’s committed and his relationship with Evan, she threatens to turn him in if she doesn’t get what she wants… And what she wants is Evan’s death, and for Archer to forfeit his last chance at redemption


So, if you have read the synopsis, you are probably asking why anyone would want to read a book where the protagonist is obviously a killer? A serial killer at that. The answer is simple...Archer, though far from perfect, has his redeeming qualities. He loves Vivian unconditionally, does anything for her, and takes care of her when nobody else can. Problem - Vivian is as toxic as they come. Only running to Archer when there is no one else for her to run to. When he starts pulling away, she decides that she cannot let him go that easy.

Oddly, Archer's dysfunction was easy to get past. He wanted to change but didn't know how. His neurosis was obvious. The signs of OCD and Borderline Personality Disorder combined with a little Post Traumatic Stress Disorder never makes for an easy life. However, when he met Evan, his life started turning in a new direction. He was peaceful, happy, and had the love that Vivian could never give him. He began to see her for the energy sucking parasite she was. (Nope, don't like Vivian even a little bit.) He trusted Evan in ways he had never trusted anyone. Archer and Vivian both had difficult childhoods. Each dealt with it in their own way. Archer had the capacity to make his life better, to change.Vivian...not so much.

Everything Archer did, he did for Vivian. Everything Vivian did, she did for Vivian. Only Evan ever cared about what Archer wanted or needed.

I enjoyed the relationship between Archer and Evan. Evan brought light into a very dark story. He was proof that just because bad things happened, you could remain good. Evan was stability in Archer's life where no other stability existed. He defined love, friendship, and trust. I laughed at Archer when he was near Evan because he would just say whatever he was thinking while simultaneously thinking "why did I say that?" I adored his inability to hide from Evan...even when you knew he really wanted to.

Everyone is going to have their own take on Hushed. Much like the characters in the book, you can choose to see the light behind it, or you can be taken in by the darkness. I walked away feeling that justice was served, that bad things happen to everyone but they don't define anyone. You define who you are with the choices you make. It's never too late to change.

If you are see-sawing about reading Hushed, keep an open mind and do it. I think you will be surprised. This is another of Entangled Publishing's phenomenal books. Kelley York wrote an excellent thriller with the perfect amount of suspense. Always enough to keep the pages turning.

Be sure to look for my interview with Kelley York on December 21st as part of the Hushed Virtual Book Tour. As always, I would like to thank Entangled Publishing for including me in one of their promotions.

*I was provided an e-book from Entangled Publishing in return for my honest review and participation in the Hushed Virtual Book Tour. Hushed does contain a male/male relationship and a graphic murder scene.

5 comments:

  1. Actually I LOVE the idea that he's a killer. How freaking original and cool, right!? I can't WAIT to read this one. Wonderful review!!

    Giselle
    Xpresso Reads

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Giselle. It is a really great book. Definitely unique. The romance is endearing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my... I don't remember reading a YA Thriller book before.. As much as I wanted to read it before, I don't think I can do it :< I am not comfortable with male/male relationship and I'm too chicken to read about murder scenes (you know how our mind and imagination works... I'm afraid it's too disturbing for me). I'm glad you liked it, based from your review... and you did an awesome review here... very well written. Thanks for sharing. I hope I can find the courage to read it... :P

    ReplyDelete
  4. I understand being uncomfortable with some of the elements of the book. I cannot watch movies with kids who are abused or die, or whose parents die. I go into a deep depression for days. Don't read it if you are uncomfortable with those things. The relationship is really sweet but I know some people don't like that stuff. Thanks for stopping by.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Actually, the premise that the main character is a serial killer is the one thing that made me jump and shove Hushed into my Wishlist. Then I read the rest of the blurb, and Evan and the triangle and the tension and everything else factored, but yes...

    Okay, I might be a bit of an odd reader. In any case, your review has pretty much confirmed what I dared to hope: that this phenomenal books lives up to its full potential, and that I. Must. Have. It!

    Thanks so much for sharing your thoughts!

    Ron @ Stories of my life

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...