Friday, November 11, 2011

Interview with Nichole Chase - Author of Mortal Obligations


Nichole Chase is a daydreamer. No, really, just ask any of the math teachers that had the misfortune of seeing her name appear on their class schedule. For years she has had story lines and characters begging for attention, but she resolutely pushed them aside to focus on more normal (read, boring) jobs. Well, no longer! She is currently heeding the voices in her head and frantically writing their stories. Nichole resides in South Georgia with her husband, energetic toddler, three dogs, and two cats. When not devouring novels by the dozens, you may find her writing, painting, crafting, or chasing her daughter around the house while making monster noises.
I would like to welcome Nichole Chase, author of Mortal Obligation, to Better Read Than Dead today. I am happy to be participating in the Mortal Obligation Virtual Book Tour. I hope you stopped by on November 9th to check out the review and entered to win an E-Book of Mortal Obligation. If not, you can find it HERE.
                                     
Me: Tell us a little bit about yourself and where you live?
Nichole - I'm a stay at home mother to one rambunctious toddler who keeps me on my toes. I live in Savannah, Ga. (which for those of you who don't live in the US, it's on the southeast coast) and absolutely hate the humid, hot summers, but love the culture and history. If I could pick a place to live forever, it would be somewhere in the Smoky Mountains. I imagine that the beautiful scenery would keep my muse busy for years.

Me: What is the name of the your most current book?
Nichole - Mortal Obligation is my debut novel and the first book in The Dark Betrayal Trilogy. It is a young adult, urban fantasy set in my home town of Savannah, Ga. Mortal Defiance, the second book of the trilogy will be out in December of this year.

Me: Who is your favorite character from you book and why?
Nichole - That's a tough question. I love my protagonist, Ree, because she is under stress that most people would never dream of, yet still wants to do the right things. Of course, I also love Paden, because of his inner turmoil. It makes him so much fun to write. And I can't forget Roland, who never needs prompting to come to life on the computer screen.

Me: Do you feel like you put parts of yourself in your characters?
Nichole - I think it's impossible to write a book and not leave your fingerprints all over the pages. No character is really a replica of me and my feelings, but there are many instances where I have used scenarios from real life in the book. Little tidbits of conversation or reactions. I'm lucky to have some friends that are hilarious, so little things they say often crop up in my work.

Me: Will there be a sequel or do you have another project in the works?
Nichole - Mortal Defiance, is the second book in the trilogy and will be out in early December. The third novel, will be out in March of 2012. I have several projects to come after these books, but they are still in the planning stage.

Me: Where do you draw your inspiration from?
Nichole - Everywhere. The most insignificant looking object, person, or action can set my overactive imagination into overdrive. Music also inspires different scenes. If my muse isn't feeling cooperative, I can turn on some music and she will be singing in no time.

Me: Do you have any “rituals” when you write?
Nichole - Rituals... Well, I like for the house to be clean. That way I don't have anything nagging in the back of my head, telling me I have stuff to get done. Of course, sometimes, I just have to sit down and write no matter what kind of mess my toddler and husband have created. On the weekends that my husband doesn't have to work, I get to escape to a local coffee shop to write. I always order a peppermint cafe mocha. Also, I have a favorite table to sit at and write. I can see out all of the windows, but it's far enough out of the way that people aren't constantly walking past me. That makes me sound antisocial, but to be honest, when I'm writing I AM antisocial. I want people to leave alone, so I can get lost in my story. 

*I can certainly relate to that. My husband and kids hate me when I am trying to write. LOL.*

Me: If you couldn’t be an author, but anything else…what would you be?
Nichole - Honestly, being an author is my dream job. If I couldn't be an author, I'd like to host a travel show. I love to travel!

Me: Independently published or commercially published?
Nichole - Independently published

Me: If independent…did you attempt to get commercially published?
Nichole - Nope. Never queried an agent or sent my manuscript to a publishing house. To be honest, I hated the thought of working on a novel, pouring my heart and time into my work for it to sit on someone's desk for God knows how long. Or worse yet, for someone to discard my work because they weren't having a good day, or didn't necessarily like the genre I had written. When I realized that being independent was a viable option in today’s market, it was as if the clouds cleared from the sky and sunlight shot down to illuminate the possibilities. Okay, that's a little dramatic, but I liked the fact that my work would go directly to the readers for them to decide if it was any good. It would depend on how much work I put into my finished product and whether the readers enjoyed my voice. So, I worked my tail off to tell the best story that I could and sent it to beta readers, proofreaders, and an amazing editor.  

Me: Do you have any words of wisdom for aspiring writers?
Nichole - Read every day. Stop thinking about writing your book and DO it! If you decide to go the independent route, make sure that you have an editor, and a great cover.

Me: What is the most useful advice you received while writing any book?
Nichole - To write every day. Even if it is only a few sentences, it keeps you in the habit of putting something down. Distraction can be an author’s biggest enemy.

Me: When did reading and writing become important you?
Nichole - I can't remember a time when reading wasn't important to me. I'm not just saying that, either. I really can't remember a time that I didn't enjoy sitting down with a book. Even when I was very little. As for writing, I wrote my first 'story' in elementary school and gave it to my grandmother. She kept it until a few years ago when she gave it back to me to keep. Even back then I was coming up with my own stories.

Me: How long did the entire process from writing your current work to getting it published take?
Nichole - I had roughly 10,000 words written by January of this year and it took me another four months to finish the first draft. After that, there were revisions, beta reads, proofreading, professional editing and formatting. I uploaded Mortal Obligation to Amazon and Barnes and Noble on July 29th. It was a lengthy process, but I haven't regretted it once.

Fun Stuff

Me: The apocalypse is coming…what do you do?
Nichole - Dig a trench around my house and guard my stock pile. Really. You should plan ahead too.

Me: If you were stranded on an island, name the 5 things you could not live without?
Fresh water (I'm practical, okay?)
sunblock (I burn terribly)
Chapstick (I'm addicted to the stuff)
books (duh)
a knife (I'm just covering my bases here.)

Me: What 5 things are within your reach right now? No cheating?
Cell phone
throw blanket (It was cold this morning)
Buzz Lightyear Doll (I mentioned that I have a toddler, right?)
Rubber band
puzzle pieces (I'm sure you can guess why.)

Me: Favorite book ever?
Nichole - I really don't have one. Pride and Predjudice is my favorite classic, but that's as close as I get to narrowing it down. (Harry Potter is a given, right? How could anyone not love that series?)

Me: Ultimate bad boy crush? (TV, Movies, or Books)
Nichole - Jace from The Mortal Instrument Series.
*Completely, 100% agreed!*

Me: Ultimate good guy crush? (TV, Movies, or Books)
Nichole - Honestly? Right now, I am in love with Paden from my books.

Me: Favorite food?
Nichole - Homemade burritos. My husband says that I American-ize them too much, but I love 'em!

Me: Favorite Movie?
Nichole - Love Actually, Willow, Legend, Star Wars, the list goes on and on.

Me: Favorite TV show?
Nichole - I hardly have time for TV anymore. When I do have time, I watch episodes of Doc Martin (A BBC show) on Netflix.

Me: Favorite Song?
Nichole - This change daily, but right now it is Super Bass by Nicki Minaj. It's so much fun to listen to! But, my tastes are very eclectic. My playlist right now has: Nicki, Adele, Barlow Girls, Lady Antebellum, Dropkick Murphys, Skillet, Sarah Mclachlan, Sia, and Three Days Grace. Yeah, I'm a well-rounded music lover. 

*You should see my playlists, talk about weird mix. It’s good to be eclectic.*

Me: Favorite singer or band?
Nichole - See above answer. I am so indescisive!

Me: One food you would never try?
Nichole - Bugs. Or worms. I saw a show on the Travel Channel where the guy ate fried worms. NO WAY!
 *I have seen that too…I’m not trying it either.*

Me: The most exotic food you have ever eaten?
Nichole - Wow. I'm thinking about this and realize that I'm pretty boring. I went to this amazing restaurant in Atlanta, Ga., called Honey Pig. It is Korean BBQ. Sound's crazy, right? It was one of the best things ever! The kimchi was delicious, but my favorite was the beef. I've never had anything like it.

Me: Day on the beach or snow skiing down a mountain?
Nichole - Can't I do both? On different days, that is? 

*Absolutely*

Me: Campfire with smores or curled up in front of the fireplace?
Nichole - Well, I love spending time with my family so I would say a campfire with smores. Then when we got home, I'd curl up in front of the fireplace (if I had one...) with a good book.

Me: If you could move anywhere on this Earth, where would it be?
Nichole - Hand's down, it would be the Smoky Mountains.

Me: Health nut or junk food junkie?
Nichole - A healthy mix of junk and good stuff.

Me: Two books you think everyone should read. (Yes, you can and should include yours.)
Nichole - Pride and Predjudice, by the great Jane Austen
                               Mortal Obligation, by ME! Ha!

Me: Are there any blogs or websites you frequent?
Nichole - Facebook, Goodreads, and Twitter are my normal hangouts. I'm pretty easy to find on all of them!

Me: Places my readers can stalk you?
@NicholeChase (Twitter)





Synopsis:

Ree will face the darkest form of betrayal before the year is out.

Seventeen year old Ree McKenna has three goals: get through high school, convince her crush she is more than his best friend’s little sister, and save money for college. Fate, though, has other plans for her. After the untimely death of her older brother, Ree is haunted by dreadful nightmares and terrifying visions. To make matters worse, Ree has started to suspect that something dangerous is stalking her from the shadows.

A night full of frightening surprises leaves Ree with unsettling news. Gifted by the gods with unusual powers, she must devote herself to a battle that could very well lead to not only her death, but the demise of everyone she knows and loves. After all, Ree is the only mortal standing between the Earth and utter darkness.

Set in Savannah, Ga, Mortal Obligation is the first book of The Dark Betrayal Trilogy.


Be sure to leave a comment on one or more of the tour posts to enter for a chance at one of two Grand Prizes!




Check out Me, My Shelf, and I on Monday November 14th to see what they have for you on the next stop of the tour.

7 comments:

  1. That's an interesting interview! It's so cool she loves JACE too! I hope I win a copy... this is so exciting! Fab prize and book! =) Thanks for this interview and giveaway! xoxoxo!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm looking forward to not only reading MORTAL OBLIGATION, but the entire DARK BETRAYAL TRILOGY as well.

    marypres(AT)gmail(DOT)com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fantastic interview! Great questions, and yes, Mortal Obligation is a must read!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've only seen Pride and Prejudice the movie lol and I loved it! Hopefully, I'll read the book one day because it is such a classic! And I completely agree with the no eating bugs! YUCK! Why would anyone willing do that? But... lol the most exotic thing I've eaten was a fly, not a nat, an actual fly! But it was an accident, a gross accident! Yeah... I don't like to talk about it -_-
    Thanks for the giveaway!
    shae_carcar(at)yahoo(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great interview! Thanks! I'm really looking forward to reading Mortal Obligation!

    shortcut_2_mushrooms(at)yahoo(dot)co(dot)nz

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great interview! :) Just dropping by to say hi. I was the Nov. 10th stop on the tour. I definitely agree about having a wide range of music to listen to and yeah, worms and bugs are so not on the menu. Bye!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very beautiful post! I love the story of Mortal Obligation.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...